This piece was written in response to a freestyle writing challenge from Marjorie Mallon at kryomagica. Usually, I don’t do this sort of thing, but upon reading the challenge I thought about my main character, Brandi Daniels from the Way of the Seer, because her story was first posted here.
Follow the link if you haven’t checked it out already. (Brandi is a teenager who believes that she possesses innate gifts and more than anything, she wants to be reunited with her long-lost father.) Below is her note to Roger, the boy who once saved her life.
Thanks Marjorie for this prompt/challenge.
The Hurt Behind the Smile
(Brandi’s secret note to Roger)
When I first met you all I thought about was that you were probably just another dumb jock, but then you came to the diner, taught me how to discover themes hidden in literature, and defeat men who wanted to overthrow me. You were my guardian, seems you knew I had powers long before me, and Teresa and you saved my life.
And I’m thankful for that even though I can never repay you. When the incident happened at the school and my father appeared, you were there. Truth was, you were always there. Even when I doubted myself and my latent talents. Look how far I’ve traveled and I’m still here. On that floor, crying because you are gone. A thorn from a rose, broken off and stripped to prevent other things. Only now I am lonely, regretting the friendship that could have been something great. Regretting the lack of time, but hoping at least that the hurt behind the smile will eventually fade. Because my memories of you, right now, are everything.
words 174, 10 minutes
This post is an answer to a free style writing challenge
The Free Style Writing Challenge Rules:
1. Set a stop watch or your mobile to 5 minutes or 10 minutes whichever challenge you think you can beat.
2. Your topic is at the foot of this post BUT DO NOT SCROLL DOWN TO SEE IT UNTIL YOU ARE READY WITH A TIMER.
3. Fill the word doc with as many words as you want. Once you began writing do not stop even to turn.
4. Do not cheat by going back and correcting spellings and grammar with spell check in MS WORD (it is only meant for you to reflect on your own control of sensible thought flow and for you to reflect on your ability to write the right spelling and stick to grammar rules)
5. You may or may not pay attention to punctuation and capitals. However, if you do, it would be best.
6. At the end of your post write down ‘Word count =_____’ so that we would have an idea of how much you can write within the time frame.
7. Do not forget to copy paste the entire passage on your blog post with a new Topic for your nominees and copy paste these rules with your nominations (at least 5 bloggers).
So rather than nominate 5 bloggers, it’s my pleasure to invite any of you who would like to participate to do!) I look forward to reading your short shorts, and thanks again for reading.