1. You are not your main character even though he or she may possess qualities similar to your own.
2. No two people are ever 100% alike, so make sure your characters don’t sound or look the same. Give them quirks, make them distinguishable.
3. To get a feel for your character listen to/for how they speak. Get to know more about their lives so you can pass the best highlights onto your readers.
4. I am not my name. I am not my name…Sometimes a good name can reveal more than you are willing to tell, so pick wisely.
5. Even though we are shaped by our environment, our actions may reveal more about who we really are. Do you know the most important thing(s) about your characters? Can you identify why they are relevant to your story?